Fatal pediatric lead poisoning New Hampshire, 2000.
Fatal pediatric lead poisoning is rare in the United States because of multiple public health measures that have reduced blood lead levels (BLLs) in the population. However, the risk for elevated BLLs among children remains high in some neighborhoods and populations, including children living in older housing with deteriorated leaded paint. This report describes the investigation of the first reported death of a child from lead poisoning since 1990 (1). The investigation implicated leaded paint and dust in a home environment as the most likely source of the poisoning. Lead poisoning can be prevented by correcting lead hazards, especially in older housing, and by screening children at risk according to established guidelines (2).
Health Management and Policy
Morbidity and Mortality Weekly
Caron, Rosemary M.; DiPentima, R; Alvarado, C; and Alexakos, P, "Fatal pediatric lead poisoning New Hampshire, 2000." (2001). Morbidity and Mortality Weekly. 25.